Thursday, October 11, 2012

Granola - Sticks and Twigs

Most people know that apple jelly is good spread on toast or as a kitchen gift, also very nice alongside Brie. But generally it ranks more as a kitchen staple to be used as an ingredient in making something else - not held in the same high regard as it's gourmet fruit cousins in the berry or tropical fruit category.

One thing I have found though is that it's become an absolutely necessary ingredient in the granola recipe I make and love.

I've gotten serious about granola this year.  I've always liked it and thought all those sticks and twigs were good for something - gave you the ruffage your body needed to keep you in balance as well as a whole host of other essential nutrients.  Buying it already prepared in the box is expensive and if you read the ingredient list on the box you soon realize that there's a lot more in there than just sticks and twigs - sugar being in the top of the list. Now I'm not against sugar, but I am trying to eat less of it in proportion to the other ingredients.  And there's a lot of it in most prepared food products.

That's one reason for making your own - you know what's in there and in what proportions. The other reason is that it's the best tasting stuff around.

My favorite recipe comes from 101 Cookbooks, named, Honey Toasted Fruit Muesli.   It is very good, but one day when I was short on honey, I substituted apple jelly and it turned out great! I prefer to make it using half honey and half apple jelly, but it can be adjusted either way or not at all.  I also discovered that when making the recipe you can make adjustments to the other ingredients to suit your taste, so I have altered the original recipe somewhat, either because of my personal preference or because I didn't have a particular ingredient on hand at the time.  The dried cherries and plums I made this Summer have gone into my recent batches and of course I also add a teaspoon (at least) of cinnamon.



My all time favorite way to eat it is with some plain homemade yogurt (or prepared fruit yogurt), a little sweet 2% milk, and fresh fruit on top.  Yummy and very healthy - you might say I've turned into a real granola.
So if you have an abundance of apples this Fall and have decided to make some apple jelly, you can add this recipe to you apple jelly repertoire and be very pleased with the outcome. Bon appetite!

Live is good - bye for now! Evelyn

REMEMBER:  Buy Local When You Can!

No comments: